Jan 29, 2006

Lot's and lots of sock yarn


I went to the craft show yesterday and managed to stick to my plan. There was some reall cool stuff there including some gorgeous mosaics and I managed to resist it all. The most exciting things I bought were cool glass bead earrings from Jasmine Keane and another basket to try to control my collection of yarn. I stopped at 2 stores on the way to the craft show to look for the right yarn for my Red Hot Sizzling Socks and came up empty. Nothing soft and wonderful, nothing red, nothing that screamed "take me home". It's all good though because I came home to a package from Knitpicks. As you can see, I got Palette in red. Sock Garden in Geranium and some Color Your Own Merino Wool. I expect that all of these will become socks at some point. I ordered them on Wednesday and my yarn search yesterday was the result of impatience. I just can't wait to start my Red Hot's.

The Turquoise yarn in the picture is Shine and I bought it to play with. I've been knitting for a little over 3 years and I've never designed my own but my kids are at weird ages from the standpoint of patterns. I have a whole bunch of the Katia books and I really enjoy them. I've done a lot of patterns from them for my girls and my niece with great success. They're age appropriate but not too cutesy. You know what I mean? They're just not always what I'm looking for. I want to make sweaters that are cool and hip and fun to knit too. I mostly gravitate towards cables and texture. I'm not really big on Fair Isle and other colorwork. I just get tired of carrying yarn in back.

Anyway, I'm gonna start designing for the smallest person in the house for obvious reasons. If I screw up on a smaller project then there's less to rip. I would love to work some of Brenda's beads into it.

Good news on the Jaywalker front too. I started the second sock and it's coming along really well. I think that if I do Jaywalkers again I'll do them shorter. I really don't love socks that come up so high on my calf and ... no surprise, I'm freaking out a little over whether or not I have enough yarn to finish the second sock. I guess that if I run out then I can rip out the top of sock one and shorten it. Yuck!

No comments: