Jan 8, 2007

Red Scarf 2007

Red Scarf 2007The end of last year was filled with projects I wanted to do but just didn't find the time for. I realize that I had good reason to be a little preoccupied but still... I left a lot unfinished. I'm back on track now and here, as proof, I offer the start of my 2007 contribution to the Red Scarf Project. I just love knitting for this cause.

Not only do I love it, my kids think it's cool too. They knew as soon as they saw the red scarf that it was for the Red Scarf Project. I just love that.

I bought this yarn a few months ago specifically for this project. It's KP Swish and I wouldn't be me if I didn't under-purchase. As I finished the first of 3 balls I measured the scarf and it's just over 1 foot. I knew there was no way that I'd be able to make a long enough scarf from this yarn by itself.

I know that it wouldn't really be an infraction of my stash diet to buy a few more balls of Swish but it's a slippery slope. If I put in the order then I'd be tempted to add a few other things "just because". Once the diet is broken once it's doomed. What to do? I dove ito the stash of course and found a lone ball of Lion Brand Wool Ease. It's not exactly the same but it's really close and also washable. My plan now is to alternate at random intervals. I just love random patterns. Simple but random really floats my boat.

I'm sure that everyone will recognize the pattern. I am probably the last person on earth to knit the Irish Hiking Scarf.

It should be no surprise that this is not the only project currently on the needles. In fact, I may even have another finished object tomorrow.

3 comments:

Sarah-potterknitter said...

Yeah, and Knitpicks has an especially slippery slope with the free shipping. You only need one thing, but If you add that then.... I need about three skeins of sock yarn to dye, but I'm putting it off as long as possible.

Carol said...

It's tough not buying yarn, especially from KP, it's very easy to spend more for the free ship! But a kind deed indeed!

Carol said...

Oh, and don't worry, I'll probably be the last to do the Irish Hiking Scarf among other things.