Jan 21, 2007

Snow!

Snow on Rocks in BRMy business trip was ok. Not fabulous but ok. My company's online reservation system screwed up and everywhere I went I was welcomed by smiling people who told me apologetically that my reservation in their system had been cancelled. Thankfully I was able to redo them all.

My hotel was truly 4 star and I enjoyed lovely meals. Oh, and the library emergency - I think I managed to mitigate the issues a little. It sounds crazy to say that there was a library emergency but really, there kind of was. People have a tendency to think that you can just throw up a few shelves put a few books on them and call it good. Librarians know this isn't so. There is a right way and a wrong way. The type of shelving matters. Loading and unloading properly matters.

Snow on BirdhouseAnyway, it snowed on Friday when I was in New Jersey and I took a picture of it on some rocks thinking that it could easily be the only snow I saw this season. I'm thrilled to say that it's not. Today winter finally arrived in Northern Virginia and I took the picture with the birdhouse this afternoon. It's blurry because the snow was still falling and my skillz with the new camera are still lacking. My kids were thrilled. Stinkerbelle had a playdate and they spent all afternoon outside playing in the falling snow.

Tonight, before going to bed, my daughters flushed ice cubes down the toilet and performed all of the other rituals to insure a snow day tomorrow. Anywhere else I'd say they're dreaming because there's not really that much snow on the ground and the schools ought to open. This is Northern Virginia though, and the decision to close school rarely has anything to do with what you see outside your window. Anything can happen!

3 comments:

Carole Knits said...

Luckily, I've never had to move a library but I can't imagine the work load! Oy! Glad your emergency got straightened out. Enjoy that snow.

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad the reservation stuff got worked out and the library emergency was handled. I'm also really excited that you guys on the eastern side finally got a bit of winter! We're more than ready to share :-)

Sarah-potterknitter said...

Don't the kids know that the only way to ensure a snow day is to have all the homework done? One little thing neglected and it's off to school for them. At least that's how it always worked for me.