Jul 9, 2009

Gardening Delights

I have often referred to our pathetic attempts to grow veggies as the Garden of Apathy but that's not quite right. I care very much about my little garden and I check on it almost every day to see what's new.

What I mean to say is that I am stubborn and I have a tendency to ignore the conventional wisdom on gardening. Ok, I disregard most of the planting guides, directions on the seed packets, and advice given to me at the local nursery too. Basically I regard that stuff as a suggestion and then I go with what works for me on the land I own in the little bit of time I can dedicate to the endeavour.

I plant stuff and hope it grows.

DSC_0215

This year I upped the ante a bit by starting my own plants from seed but I did it late. I was also late in planting them outside in an area that I didn't properly prepare. So it's a huge happy surprise when I check the garden and find that corn is beginning to appear.

DSC_0266

And there are zucchini flowers all over.

DSC_0269

But the biggest kick this year is looking beneath the canopy of large leaves and seeing a whole other world down there. This year, in addition to the zucchini, I planted punpkins and they are taking over.

Zucchini likes to spread and it will easily take over the garden if you let it but pumpkin is a whole other story. It sends out these crazy, curly, tendrils that reach out across the area and grab onto whtever the find and don't let go. It makes weeding a bit more urgent because once a pumpkin tendril finds a weed... it's staying.

DSC_0265

Then there's this.

DSC_0260

It's cute and fuzzy now but imagine it a few months from now when it's big and round and orange. This fall we'll be eating pumpkin bread. Heck - pumpkin everything!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

We grew pumpkin near a 30-foot evergreen hedge... they latched on, climbed the evergreens and looked like orange christmas balls hanging on the hedge. Nobody was unwise enuff to stand beneath a pumpkin, but everyone looked, marveled and scratched their head. Remember? (Zucchini FLOWERS are edible)
~SLF

Carole Knits said...

Looks like you're going to have a very successful garden this year!

Sarah said...

It sounds like we have somewhat similar approaches to gardening. Yours is doing great. I also find corn to be tremendously exciting.