Jul 13, 2010

Ten on Tuesday - 10 Things You Like About Where You Live

I am home again after my annual trip to drop my girls off at their camp in another state. It is really hard to have them so far away for so long but I'll get through it. I always do.

On the way to camp we took a little detour to explore another town. We don't do heavy siteseeing on these detours. It's more about getting the feel of a place. This fit's well with the Ten on Tuesday topic for this week -10 Things You Like About Where You Live. Exploring other cities and towns allows us to think about what we like and don't like and appreciate our home even more.

1. The proximity to Washington, DC - I love the city and it's close enough to make spur of the moment trips just because.

2. Our neighborhood pool - Growing up I always longed for a pool but we didn't have one so I was at the mercy of my friends who did. There were many days I wished my friends would come home and invite me over for a swim. Now we have a pool a block from our house that we can use at will. This was very high on my wish list when we bought our house.

Dive In

3. Our Schools - Another thing on my wish list was great schools and we scored on this one too. I love how involved the parents are, the myriad programs and opportunities, and the rigorous academics. I couldn't ask for more.

4. The Fairfax County park system - There are parks and greenspace everywhere. We've got a park by a lake with a really night playground within walking distance from our house and in the summer they have concerts there.

5. The Rec Centers - This is another county thing. The rec centers offer pools, exercise rooms, fitness and crafty classes, and summer camps in really lovely settings - and all for very reasonable cost.

6. Fairs and festivals - They're in DC and closer to home. There are movies under the moon and book festivals. There is really no weekend where there isn't something to do. (what a great excuse to share another picture from the recent folklife festival)

Mexican Altar

7. The Smithsonian - Many great cities have museums and most of them are well worth the cost of admission but... we've got fabulous free museums. Free is a fan-freakin'-tastic word. Right now I'm trying to decide the best evening to go see the Norman Rockwell exhibit for FREE!

8. My community - We bought our house in part because it was close to our synagogue. Being part of a large and thriving community makes all the difference. When you live so far from your relatives it's so comforting to have a wide circle of friends who love and support you.

9. Public transportation - Busses and trains and slugging. There are seemingly endless ways to get to work each day. And if you're coming to visit there are 3 airports that are reasonably close to us. (What are you waiting for?)

10. Everything I've forgotten to say already. I really have so many reasons to love where I am and I think all the time about how happy I am that we settled exactly where we are.

3 comments:

Carole Knits said...

You live in a fantastic area!

Beverly said...

Sounds like a great place to live!!

Kristi aka Fiber Fool said...

That sounds like a fabulous place to live!