Oct 19, 2011

The Feast of Booths

The Occupy DC folks are still camped out near my office and I continue to find them fascinating. Apparently I'm not alone in this. It's not uncommon to find random office dwellers roaming about the park - some with cameras - checking it out.

It's surprising that they're still there because it's raining today and they're predicting quite a deluge but the tents are still up. In fact, the community there is still growing and now there are several dozen tents covering most of the (newly planted) grass.

IMG_3436[1]

It's the new structures sprouting up here and there that amuse me most. I first saw this one late last week and it stopped me in my tracks. I looked at it from a distance and had to get closer to see if it was what I thought it was. It is! It's a Sukkah, part of the Jewish celebration of Sukkot. It really surprised me because these folks living in the park have done something that I've wanted to do (and not gotten around to) for the past twelve years. Amazing!

1 comment:

Carole Knits said...

Do they have a library? The Occupy Boston people do so I bet yours do, too.