Dec 14, 2006

Isn't it Ironic

Yesterday afternoon I had an appointment at a very large and well known medical center. I was perfectly healthy when I arrived but, stepping off the shuttle bus I stumbled and fell and landed in a heap on the curb. Very graceful! We wound up spending the evening in the ER where they found that I had badly sprained my right foot. It's very swollen and the injury is serious enough that I can't walk on it at all AND, as if that wasn't enough, I broke a toe on my left foot. They gave me crutches but, because both feet are involved, I can barely use them. On the positive side, they gave me the really good drugs - Dr. House would approve and be jealous.

As if injuring myself on the grounds of a major medical facility wasn't enough, I did it the night before my last spinning class. That is certainly ironic. I can't walk at all much less tredle. I am so unspeakably pissed off.

I'm not sure if I can even knit much today. I suspect that knitting on Vicodin will result in much frogging. Ugh!

Up to the point that I fell, it was a pretty good day. Amusing even. I was riding on Metro and working on binding off another sock when I looked up and saw a woman who was also knitting a sock. I didn't pay much attention though because I was feeling the pressure of holiday knitting. We both wound up changing trains and again I found myself sitting accross from her. Suddenly there was a flash and I looked up to see her putting her camera away. I think I got caught KIP-ing! On film! How funny. I can only guess that she must be a blogger. What other explanation is there for a knitter takig a picture of another random knitter on a train? I'm really not that photogenic.

No pictures today because this is about as much as I can handle right now. I do have a finished sock - maybe I'll finish it's mate. Maybe I'll finish the mystery project too. Maybe I'll just take a nap.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yikes! I hope you heal quickly!

I loved the Dr. House reference, LOL!

margene said...

Heal quickly! Enforced rest can be a blessing so take full advantage.

Anonymous said...

Sounds like something I'd do! Hope you heal real soon. Enjoy the Vicodin and milk the injury as long as possible so everyone can wait on you ;)

Carole Knits said...

I'm so sorry that happened! I hope you can feel well enough to knit really soon.

Cursing Mama said...

GAH! Hope you're up and around soon.

I do have a solution for the knitting - you could send someone for that fuzzy stuff & plastic yarn & knit a few muppet scarves. I hear they hide all kinds of mistakes ;)

Unknown said...

Ouch! You poor thing. I hope it heels completely and quickly. Loved the House reference. Enjoy the vicodin!

Anonymous said...

Umm . . . you live in Boston, right? You do know about Subway Knitter, don't you? See http://www.subwayknitter.com/ . . . I'm wondering if it was her who took the picture of you.

Anonymous said...

We missed you tonight Hillary! :( I am so sorry to hear about your toe/ankle. When you heal, I would be glad to show you what we learned in our last class. We learned how to ply (you'll love it!) I was so bummed that you weren't there....you make it so much more fun! Hope you feel better real soon. ~Amber

PS - Blogger is acting weird so I am having to post this without my blogger account.

Warrior Knitter said...

I was thinkin' Subway Knitter, too.