Aug 2, 2007

ECF - First Harvest Edition

I've been saving this picture all week.


First Harvest - Ever!
This is the first harvest from our little garden. That zucchini was 13 inches long and weighed 2.4 lbs. Not too shabby. Sadly my cooking really didn't do it justice. Some of it was fried up and became part of our Sunday night dinner and I made 2 loaves of zucchini bread with the rest. I learned something. I need a new zucchini bread recipe. Oh well - live and learn. It was really exciting to eat something we grew. Hubbo ate the little red pepper and said it was really yummy. the rest is in the veggie bin waiting for inspiration.
Eggplant!As exciting as the first harvest is, our little garden isn't finished feeding us yet. If you look carefully at this picture you'll see 3 eggplants growing. Don't they look great? I guess I'm going to have to learn to like eggplant. Hmmm...
There are still a few squash growing but not all of it will make it to the table because it would appear that we've had some visitors sharing in our bounty. I'm ok with that. I elected not to use any pesticides on our garden. It's about as organic as it gets. We just stuck the plants in the ground and let them do their thing. Next year maybe we'll try to start from seeeds. Wouldn't that be cool?
Next week we'll be on vacation so normally this would be my last post for a while but tomorrow there will be a rarity - a Saturday post. It's the next installment in my look back to the very eventful summer of 1997. I've really enjoyed sharing it and I hope that you're enjoying reading it.


5 comments:

Carole Knits said...

I have a very good zucchini bread recipe. It comes from the Victory Garden cookbook. Let me know if you'd like it.

aija said...

Nice ECF photo! Reminds me its farmers market day today :)

Carol said...

That looks scrumptious! I can't believe you snuck in 2 posts on me! I think yesterday was a bad reading day for me.

Cursing Mama said...

I always use the zucchini bread recipe from the betty crocker cookbook - but add a little extra zuch and spice. We just finished up 2 loaves at home.

Anonymous said...

Did I miss something? Where were the blueberry pies you were going to bake with the harvest from your bush? We watched it trowing, guarded, never saw it picked or baked.