Apr 10, 2006

Aubergine and the Promise of Spring


I had planned to finish Aubergine AND the Jet socks this weekend but one out of 2 isn’t so bad. The goal was really do-able since I was pretty close to finishing both projects. What this says about this weekend – actually, my life – is that I spend way too much time running around. I took kids to play-dates, did grocery shopping, clothes shopping etc. It’s all good and very necessary but it doesn’t leave one feeling terribly fulfilled.
Aubergine
Pattern: None
Needles: #8 circ’s
Yarn: Patons – purple wool and white eyelash Whisper something I think
Dates: 3/8/06 – 4/9/06

Notes: I did a garter bottom 36 stitches wide and 18 rows deep and I think it’s a good size. Not too deep but not completely without shape either. I’ll keep playing with it. I experimented with the top and some is good – some is less good. Good – the 3 holes in the tapered end of the strap where it meets the bag. It’s not much but the detail is a fun one and I may embellish it a little before I call it a day. Even if I leave it as is it’s still nice to know that It worked as I had hoped so that I can take it further next time. Less good – the eyelash band. The eyelash itself is a good effect but it caused the section to felt less so it looks stretched out. I’ll have to come up with a clever closure to counter it.

I did get to stop at the yarn store on Sarurday so my self-imposed yarn fast is over. I’ll tell you all about it – just not now. I’d rather share something that makes me happy today and it’ll keep making me smile all spring/summer – blueberries!

Almost 9 years ago my little family moved from NY to VA. In NY, on Long Island, we had lived in a nondescript, brick, apartment building which had very little to recommend it besides hardwood floors. No washer, no dryer, no dishwasher, no porch… nada. In Virginia, for the same amount we were able to rent a bigger apartment with all of the little conveniences. It was all very exciting, especially the porch.

For some reason the presence of the porch inspired a desire for blueberry bushes. I can’t explain it so you’re just going to have to take the leap with me. Somewhere in the deep dark recesses of my mind a connection was made and I spent the next few years longing for blueberry bushes. Would they grow in Virginia? Could I plant them in a huge planter? Would the management company object if I planted them outside my porch? On and on it went.

My fixation continued after we bought our house and, even as I bought and planted many other trees, shrubs and bulbs, I still pondered blueberry bushes. I even bought 2 seedlings once but I couldn’t decide where to plant them and they died. So sad!

(Aren’t you amazed at my ability to fixate on things other than yarn?)

blueberry buds
Last July, at the grocery store of all places, I found these 3 beauties in desperate need of a home. We prepared the beds and gave them all the love we could and after the long cold winter I went to check on them the other day and look at how happy and healthy they are. I am ecstatic! Lindsey and I (nobody else in the house likes blueberries) will eat blueberries this summer until we can’t eat any more. I will make pies and muffins and anything else I can think of.

I am one happy girl!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Blueberries are wonderful, especially in pancakes! Mmmmmm. And the smell of a patch of blueberry bushes early in the morning is so sweet. As kids, we would go to visit grandma in Maine and go blueberry picking every morning. You MAY need more than three...
I wonder if you can use blueberries for dyeing?

micah_gideon said...

Are those three bushes really going to provide enough blueberries for your dreams?