Dec 11, 2007

Brick Red Koolhaas

IMG_2197Have you ever started a project with one person in mind and, as you knit you realize that it's really meant for someone else? I'm sure that it happens all the time. When I cast on for this hat (yes, another hat) last week I intended to give it to a family member. As I started the second repeat I suddenly realized that this was the perfect "thank you" hat for a very good friend of ours. I really hope he likes it.
This is Koolhaas by Jared Flood which appeared in this year's holiday issue of Interweave Knits. Knitting this pattern is so simple and intuitive. I worked on it while doing a bunch of other stuff and never made an error.
IMG_2195I love the way this pattern looks when it's at rest and how it opens up when you put it on. I think that the decreases are well thought out and non-intrusive. I just hate when the decreases are obvious and don't flow with the overall pattern. These have a natural flow that adds to the beauty of the design.
Don't you love twisted stitches? It's so cool how they really add stretchiness to the fabric while creating such nice definition to the design. Twisted stitches just make me happy. How weird that a stitch can make you smile. Seriously, the sharp edges they create are really appealing.
The yarn I used was KP Swish Superwash in a color called fired brick. I'm sure that many people have used this yarn before and many, myself included, will use it in the future. It's pretty soft although it doesn't seem to have the same life and shine as other wools. My only issue was that it was a little splitty. My needle (super sharp KP Options) kept catching it and each time the yarn felt like it wanted to come apart (shred maybe) a little. I'm sure it will hold up well but it was a little frustrating when I was working on it.

4 comments:

Cursing Mama said...

Very cool pattern - now I'm going to have to go mark that one in my own copy :)

Carole Knits said...

That pattern is really cool looking.

Krista said...

I've been wanting to make that but it looks so difficult! Maybe it's not as bad as I think! I love the color red you used.

Anonymous said...

Love the hat!