Dec 4, 2007

Hats!

My apologies to DQ for using such unflattering pictures.

IMG_2143I comitted myself to making a bunch of hats this year so it's a good thing that there is no shortage of cool hat patterns. I saw Foliage in the recent Knitty and I knew I'd be making a few of these. It's such an easy pattern that barely into the first repeat on hat one I was able to put away the pattern and fly through it. These hats are cute too.

This is the first version of Foliage that I knit. The yarn I used was Scoubi Du which is a cotton with a nice cozy feel. It will be a gift for someone with serious wool allergies. As cotton's go, this one wasn't bad and I think that it makes a nice, soft, squishy hat. I hope that she'll like it.

IMG_2142This is the second version that I knit. For this one I used Classic Elite Beatrice in a color called Zinnia Bouquet. This is also a gift and it's on it's way to it's new home as I write this. I wish that I had taken a better picture of it because the yarn was nifty. It's a three ply with ochre, orange and a rust tone. This yarn is really sproingy and goes well with the pattern which, being lacy, has a lot of give.

I can see the leaves and calling this pattern Foliage makes sense but it reminds me a lot of a pineapple. This is especially true when the hat is unblocked and the leaves pucker a little. One thing that concerned me a bit was the open-ness of the hat. I wonder how warm it will be. It seems like this would be more of an issue with the second version which uses bigger needles for the thicker yarn. I think that this hat could be really cool if I knit it with a lining in a contrasting color. I'll have to try that.

Hanukkah starts tonight so this would be a good time to address The List. I'm referring, of course, to the overly ambitious list of holiday knitting that I posted a while ago. I'm knitting the items listed on it at a fairly quick rate but, I have to admit that I don't feel the usual sense of urgency. Full disclosure time - I bought gifts for most of the people on my list and delivered them to the recipients during our trip to NY. Thr trip just seemed like such a great opportunity to avoid the wicked shipping charges and the mad rush at the last minute that I did a whirlwind shopping day the week before we went to NY and finished it all. I'm actually happier than usual with what I got everyone and I can't wait to hear how everyone likes what we got them.

I still want to send hand knits to many of my friends and family but now they're special little extras rather than the only gift so I can knit with less pressure. I can't tell you how happy that makes me.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I made a lace hat last year and found that it was ideal for the late fall/early spring, so I bet your recipients will just love those you made!

-sprite
spritewrites.net

Carole Knits said...

Those hats are both great. I think you made the right decision on your gift giving. Enjoy the knitting, that's the point!

Carol said...

DQ can not be unflattered if she tried to. The hats look great, the model better;) I like your idea of a contrasting liner for cold weather wear!