Dec 6, 2007

Whee and Wii

IMG_2152It snowed yesterday in DC. In the city it looked nice and harmless but closer to home it was really treacherous. Considering that this storm was not exactly a surprise you would think that the roads would've been sanded etc not no... not in the Old Dominion. People here prefer to slip and slide and crash into stuff apparently. It was especially annoying to see not one but 2 plows loaded with sand sitting around the corner from my house doing nothing. This morning, my street which is one of the main streets in the neighborhood, was not plowed, not sanded and barely passable. The ice had everyone moving at a crawl.

Last night was the second night of Hanukkah and it was perfect. The girls opened the gift Hubbo and I gave them jointly and they were totally surprised. We got them a Wii. I bought it months ago just to be sure that I'd get one. Totally worth it! We set it up in the living room to start and they played tennis, ran track, swam and jumped on the trampoline virtually. I'll tell you what, it's a good thing that the Wii will live in the rec room downstairs where there is plenty of room. That is one very active game. That's why we got it for them although I'm not sure I agree with Stinkerbelle that it's exercise.

Monday night we went to my friend's house for a latke party to celebrate the first night of Hanukkah. Look who made their debut there.

IMG_2146

Well over a year ago, before she was even pregnant, I told my buddy Felicia that if she had a baby I'd make her a Hedgehog. It turned out to be easier said than done because I just couldn't find the pattern anywhere. I searched in yarn stores all over before I finally found it when I was in North Carolina last August.

B & HedgieHere is a picture of little B with her new Hedgie. I think they're going to be great friends.

About the pattern itself, well... it's great. Making the piece that becomes the tummy, face, arms and legs is a weird experience full of increases and decreases and short rows that doesn't really make sense until much later in the process. When it does come together it's wonderful. I also think that this is another example of a perfect use for fun fur. It really is fun here and the shininess of it appeared o be the thing that B was drawn to. My girls were also enjoying it and they were very clear about wanting hedgies of their own. I may be able to hook them up.

1 comment:

Carole Knits said...

I've been trying to get a Wii everywhere, including going to Toys R Us at 7:30 am last Sunday, but I've had no luck. I'm jealous that you had the foresight to pick on up early. I love that hedgehog!