Jun 23, 2010

Kai-Mei... Finally

A while back I was fortunate enough to score 2 skeins of Wollmeise. I know there are many of you out there who know exactly what an accomplishment that is.

Anyway, after expending such and effort to get my hands on the stuff you can bet that I gave careful consideration to the pattern worthy of such a precious skein and came up with Kai-Mei by Cookie A. You really can't go wrong with any of her patterns and this is no exception. It was clear and easy to follow.

DSC_0654

Here are the socks in the wild. Isn't it cool how they blend into the background? Bruce took the pictures of these because they are mine, mine, mine and I don't want to tempt my girls by letting then try them on even once... no, not really. Bruce did take the pictures and I did do the modeling but that's because my usual models are way too busy lately. Can you believe that?

DSC_0656

So, what about that yarn? Is it really worth all the hype? I really can't say. I do like it quite a lot. It was nice to work with and the fabric it produced is lovely. Really, really lovely and smooth and even. The thing of it is that this isn't the most exciting skein of Wollmeise I've ever seen. I do love green and this one is rich and dense but it lacks the colorful punch that Wollmeise is known for. My bad. I could've chosen a more exciting skein and I didn't.

DSC_0652

The bottom line is that these socks are a win. I adore the color and the asymmetry. I can't wait to wear these but not right now. It was 95 yesterday and it'll be 97 today. As if that's not bad enough they're predicting 100 for tomorrow and let's not forget the famous DC humidity. Step outside and you'll feel like you're melting.

I'll just go put these in my sock drawer and dream of cooler weather.

6 comments:

Kristi aka Fiber Fool said...

They are lovely. I think for such a great pattern you really need simple elegance in the yarn so the pairing was great. I also *love* that green so I may be biased, LOL!

margene said...

Love, love, love! They are so cool. I wouldn't want to put them in a shoe.

Laura said...

I love the color and I like that they blend in with the background.

Not looking forward to that 100 degrees that they predict.

Carole Knits said...

They are beautiful. I still haven't knit with my Wollmeise but I'm ready to give it a try.

Laurie said...

They look great. I disagree that it is not a wonderful Wollmeisey color.

I have a couple of skeins..shawl? socks? Dunno.

Sarah said...

They are beautiful! I'm glad you are keeping them for yourself.