Dec 26, 2012

What we did this Christmas

I want to wish a belated Merry Christmas to all those celebrating. I enjoyed the long weekend off from work the way me and mine always do.  We ate Chinese food and watched a movie.  Actually we watched a few movies and, thankfully, they were really good ones.  Here's the low-down on all of them in the order that I saw them.

  1. Argo - Go see this movie! I saw it with the older girls and my husband and we all loved it.  Actually, I think everyone in the whole, packed, theatre loved it.  In case you haven't heard about it, this is the story of 6 americans who escaped from the US Embassy in Iran when it was seized in 1979 and our country's creative efforts to rescue them.  Even though it's a true story and we knew the outcome going in, we were still on the edge of our seats. 
  2. Lincoln - This was such a good movie and the story was really important.  It absolutely deserves to be seen.  My only critique is that it's a long movie that felt like a long movie.  On the other hand, Daniel Day Lewis' portrayal of Lincoln is masterful.  He manages to humanize the icon.
  3. Silver Linings Playbook - Not only is Bradley Cooper sexy, he's a great actor too.  Actually, all of the performances in this movie are excellent.  This is the story of a man trying to get his life back together after being in a mental institution.  He has lost it all and often seems like maybe he came home a little too soon. This movie was funny and sad and ultimately really satisfying.
IMG_0770

By the way, the picture above is of a little treat I made recently.  It's called Christmas Crack but we're calling it Hanukkah Hash.  There are recipes for it all over the 'net but here's the one that I used.

1 comment:

Carole said...

Thanks for the movie reviews. I'd like to see Argo and we saw Lincoln a few weeks ago. Dale got to see it again on a school field trip and he said he loved it even more the second time. Of course, he's a Lincoln junkie and can't get enough. I'm ignoring the link for that candy. Yup. Ignoring it.