Apr 9, 2012
It's Passover again and it's even more challenging this year. In addition to the usual issues we're dealing with construction. Any day our kitchen will become part of the construction zone so we're concurrently packing the contents of the kitchen and using it for meal prep. Changing my dishes was out of the question. It was just one more level of crazy that I didn't need this year. It makes or an odd holiday observance. While there is a lot about this Passover that is different, one thing remains the same. The Seder. And this year it was Marissa's first time at one. I'm not sure she liked the matzoh but she definitely embraced the experience.
Posted by hillary at 12:24 PM
Apr 3, 2012
I love to put together big family dinners. For ages, holidays in our house has meant inviting friends and family until we run out of places to put them. Then of course we cook for all our guests. I sit with cookbooks gathering ideas until I come up with the perfect menu.
It's different this year because of the state of the house. We're going to friends for one night and the other it'll be just us. It's not ideal but we'll make up for it next year when we have more space to put people and a better kitchen to prepare in. Mmmmmm double ovens!
This year I'll just fantasize about future holidays and put together a list of some of my favorite side dishes.
1. Broccoli - always! It's the only veggie that my whole family will eat.
2. Sweet potatoes - sometimes baked and sometimes mashed with some orange marmalade. Yum!
4. Cranberry sauce - I could eat a whole can myself
5. Corn bread - when it fits the meal it's delish
6. Noodle kugel - I like mine sweet with apples and raisins.
7. Bread of some sort - rolls, challah, matzoh, whatever
8. Brussels sprouts - I love these guys! If there is anyone at the table who'll eat them with me then I'm a happy girl.
9. Sweet & sour meatballs - I usually make a turkey or chicken as our main dish but my girls love the sweet & sour meatballs. There are never any left over.
10. Salad - I'm not sure it's a side dish exactly but I really like a salad with my meal.