Oct 24, 2006

On Holiday Knitting

Scarves – 3
Socks – 4 pairs
Votive holders – 2 pair
Fingerless gloves – 1 pair

Recognize this? This is the list of holiday knitting that I started last weekend. It doesn’t sound bad since 2 of the scarves and one pair of socks are already well under way. The problem lies in the projects that I’m forgetting. I’m sure that I’m forgetting a lot. There are birthdays coming up too. I’d love to knit for everyone but there are just not enough hours in a day. I’ll just do the best I can and prepare to send a lot of IOU’s.

Of course, the list above doesn’t include the stuff I’d like to make for me, like Tilia, the Forest Canopy Shawl, the Dragon Wing Shawl and the Lotus Blossom Tank. Tilia is stalled but only because other things are more pressing. The Forest Canopy Shawl is moving along. I’ve almost finished as many repeats as the pattern calls for and, in a shocking twist, I have tons of yarn still in the ball. Someone noted that the ball looked big when I first posted it. I knew that it was more than the pattern required. And I thought that was a good thing. Working with it has taught me something important though – I’m not fond of knitting with 100% silk. The weight may have something to do with it but I think that I’d prefer to have my silk in a blend.

Like this…

synchronicity


Or this…
Sanctuary

This is the stuff that I picked up at Knit Happens on Saturday. I’ve admired the Alchemy yarn for a while but it’s wicked expensive so I restrained myself. At KH it was 50% off. I couldn’t resist an opportunity like that. I’m thinking hats. Really, luxurious hats. What do you think?

By the way, what do you know about tencel? I started knitting with the wool/tencel blend last night and I’m fascinated with it. It’s got a feel that I can’t quite describe and a crazy luster that seems unnatural. I’m wondering what it will be like after washing. Does it get softer? Will it loose the shine?

4 comments:

Elspeth said...

I love the yarn! I've been eyeing that myself for years, but haven't been able to justify it even though they have it at Webs. Good luck on the projects!

Cursing Mama said...

What awesome colors! They do look like hats to me ;)

Anonymous said...

Oh, I have one single skein of some of that yarn. I haven't quite decided that I've found "the pattern" for it. But it is autumny colored so perhaps I should be more presistent in finding something...

The colors you chose look great!

Krista said...

I've knit with tencel and washed it and I have no complaints! Looks great! It was from Cascade.