This was Miss M last year at Passover.
Here she is this year.
She is wise to the matzah. She is counting the minutes until the holiday ends. No, wait, that's me!
Anyway, this year was interesting because it was the first time we're doing Passover in the new kitchen. We're learning a lot for next year. Mostly, the issues are organizational. It's also the first time that I've done a Seder in about 3 years. Way too long. I feel like I lost my touch.
Notes from this year's Seder:
The yummy Carrots with Almonds that nobody got to eat because I forgot them in the microwave. I didn't remember that they were there until 24 hours later.
I got no Charoset (ceremonial and delicious mixture of apples, walnuts and wine). Next year I need to make sure that someone is populating my plate while I am in the kitchen.
I need to find the box with my Seder plate. It's missing since the construction. Other things are missing too but this is a big one.
Brisket is good. It also cleans up well and re-heats well. Win!
I'm sure that there is more that I'm forgetting but this is a good start. Those damn carrots are still killing me.
Mar 28, 2013
This was Miss M last year at Passover.
Mar 19, 2013
Random things on my mind. OMG! The way things have been going lately I've got nothing but. Eye drops and ear drops for my toddler. Credit cards getting hacked. Snow falling as I freeze my ass of on the bleachers at the forst softball double header of the season. Toddlers who can dress themselves - and insist on doing so. And much, much, more.
1. This is what I saw on my way to work yesterday. What gives? I love snow. Love, love, love. But not in March. This is just wrong.
2. Why can't people drive sanely in bad weather. Seriously! Are you really that excited for work?
3. And stop texting! You freak me out enough when you repeatedly speed up and then stop short of hitting the cars in front of you - IN. THE. SNOW. Adding the texting to the mix is just sadistic.
4. I have done my Passover shopping but I'm still far from ready for the holiday. Everyone else is trying out recipes and planning menus. I am still shaking off my cloak of denial.
5. Pink is awesome. The girls and I saw her last Thursday night and it was phenomenal!
6. It got me thinking about the difference between a concert and a show. At a concert they get up there and sing their songs and play their instruments (I'm looking at you Bon Jovi). They hopefully do a good job. A show takes the singing and adds artistic content. Lots of artistic content! This was a show. An awesome one.
7. I cannot believe that spring break is next week. The school year is just flying by and it's giving me whiplash.
8. DQ says hello to everyone out there reading the blog. She is reading over my shoulder.
9. Snow should not be coating the buds on the trees. Poor little buds.
10. I can't wait for the Cherry Blossoms to bloom. The snow had better not ruin them.
Mar 7, 2013
But only a little bit. We didn't get anywhere near the 8 inches to a foot that they threatened us with. We got about 2-3 inches before it started drizzling.
The snow was super wet which is really good for making snowballs but no good for anything else. Miss M was not really sure what to make of it. She came, she saw, she was ready to go back inside and drink homemade hot chocolate. Yum!
I enjoyed watching the snow fall and I really needed the rest that it provided. Now I'm just as happy to see it go and go it will. The forecast for the next few days will be in the 40's and 50's. Spring is certainly on the way.
Mar 4, 2013
What a difference a week makes. Last week at this time I was putting together a list of all the reasons I wanted winter to be over now while admitting that was really ok with it sticking around long enough for one more good snow. Of course I didn't actually think we'd get any snow but you can always dream.
Now I really am ready for winter to be over. Funny how yet one more bout of sniffles, sore throat, aches etc will change a person's outlook! And just as I'm thinking about how badly I'd love to put flu weather behind me we are finally expecting a snow storm that they are cautiously declaring "could be major." Seriously?
But it is March and that's a step in the right direction. Today they came out with the prediction for the peak of this years Cherry Blossoms (March 28-30th). So that would be a great place to start my list of reasons I'm happy it's March.
- Cherry Blossoms - the parade, the festival, the flowers... I melt! I swoon!
- All that green - I really love green and they bring it all out for St Patricks Day.
- Doubliner Cheddar Cheese - Yum! They bring out the really good stuff this time of year.
4. P!NK - the big girls and I are seeing her later this month. Can you say girls night? Hmmm... I'm thinking of Mexican food before the show. Now we're talking!
5. Rocking the RED - we have tickets to a Caps game this month. Our first one with Miss M. I wonder how she'll like it.
6. Passover - Ok, I know that sounds a little perverse and it's not entirely accurate. I don't really love Passover but I do love the Seders. Cook up a storm, set a beautiful table and fill the house with great people to celebrate with. Love that!
7. Announcements - they'll announce the performers for the Fairfax Fair AKA Celebrate Fairfax sometime this month. I can't wait to see who it'll be.
8. Spring Break - It won't be as stress free this year as usual because DQ will be using the break to get ahead on work she'll miss during her upcoming trip but it's still nice to see the girls chill out and have a little fun.
9. Spring knits - March is a great time to start some warm weather knitting. Perhaps a sweater for a sweet young thing.
10. Cherry blossoms, cherry blossoms, cherry blossoms. - and also daffodils and crocus and the reddish blur that is the appearance of buds on the trees.
But first we need to get through the snow storm that is a bit late to the party.