Dec 6, 2011

Ten on Tuesday - 10 Favorite Holiday Traditions

Have you started preparing for the holidays yet. I have but I'm not making nearly as much progress as I'd like. I thought that I was doing really good but then I started making lists and it got ugly. Apparently, even though there is a constant stream of boxes arriving at my door, more are yet to come. Keep shopping.

IMG_2154

At least there is lots of other fun stuff to enjoy about the holidays. Here are ten of my favorite holiday traditions.
  1. Eat Latkes - Yum! Even if your house does smell like latkes for the next week they're still so good and so worth making
  2. Decorate - l really love it when the house looks festive. For us, it starts with all the brightly covered gifts that we stack up on top of the entertainment center. A bowl of dreidls and gelt here, some window art there and presto!
  3. Light Candles - this year it will be extra fun because we have 2 new menorahs
  4. Eat Chinese Food - I don't know why but Jews eat Chinese food on Christmas. Just check you're local Chinese food joint if you don't believe me.
  5. Play games - Oh dreidl, dreidl, dreidl
  6. Party - Holiday parties are awesome. They're best with friends and some family but office parties can be good too.
  7. Holiday music - I'm not talking about the kind they play in the stores. I much prefer the irreverent spins that people like Adam Sandler put on it.
  8. Making cookies - my girls have always loved to bake and holiday cookies are an excellent excuse. My favorite part is decorating them.
  9. Watching parades - I am a sucker for them. There is something about the bands, the floats, and, let's face it... having a perfect reason to start the morning very slowly relaxing on the couch.
  10. Giving gifts - getting gifts is lovely too but I much prefer giving them. Really! There is something about finding exactly the right thing
    and seeing the surprise and excitement on the recipients face that is just so gratifying

1 comment:

Carole Knits said...

I love latkes and even though we aren't Jewish I usually make them this time of year. I wonder if the Chinese food thing is because those were the only restaurants open on Christmas years ago?