It is cold here today. Really, really cold. We haven't had this many days in the teens and below in ages - if ever. But here's a little secret. I kind of like the extreme cold. In small doses it's refreshing and exhilarating. I can say this because I don't have to be out there in it much at all. It's only a few steps from my front door to my car and not much more to wherever I need to go. If I had to be outside waiting for a bus or walking long distances it'd be a different story.
But I'm not sure that I'd say the extreme cold would be one of my favorite things about the winter. I do like some things about the winter and here's a list.
- Seeing handknits in use - My girls love to bundle themselves up in handknits. I love seeing them wearing the hats, gloves, scarves, and cowls that I've made for them.
- Inspiration for more hamdknits - cold weather makes me want to create more wonderful wooliness to keep my girls warm.
- Snow - I know many people who hate snow but I love it. I love watching it fall. I love walking in it. I love just about everything about it.
- Hot Chocolate - I don't do it often but there is nothing quite like a nice steaming mug of hot chocolate on a cold winter day.
- Snow Days - just not too many of them. Too much unscheduled time gets a little crazy.
- Rosy cheeks - I just love seeing my girls with rosy cheeks. The glow of good health and all that.
- The winter light - I can't really explain it but there is something about the light. It's crisp and unfiltered.
- Cooking hearty meals - chili, and all the hearty, meaty stuff that makes us feel nostalgic. It feels so good and it makes the house smell great too.
- Blankets - I love curling up on the couch with one of my girls under piles of blankets to watch a show or read a book.
- Reading - It's the perfect activity for a cold winter day.