Jan 13, 2006

Sorry Micah

Well, on Wednesday night I finally went back to working on the scarf I'm making for my brother, Micah. It's the secret project that I referred to here. the project isn't really a secret, it's a scarf that I'm making in Uros from Elann.com in a color called Arizona Clay. The secret is the pattern that I'm using so I can't show you pictures until he gets it.

I was using a new technique that I read aboud somewhere to cable without a cable needle and I was really making progress (from 12 to 21 inches) until I read this post yesterday. Norma was talking about a really cool project from the Orphan Foundation of America called the Red Scarf Project. They're trying to collect 2,500 handmade scarves to distribute to former foster kids who are in college. It sounds like such a great idea. What a challenge though! The scarves are due at Einstein Bagels by January 31 - ACK! I'd better work fast.

I went home and found a ball of wine colored Bernat acrylic yarn from the days before I became a yarn snob. It's actually very soft and the color is nice. I chose to knit Alison's Scarf by Annie Modesitt and I have to say that it's starting off very well. I had never done a I-cord cast on before but I love the way it looks and feels. I must do it again on something else soon. The pattern is showing up well and looks really fancy which belies how freakin' easy it is. Of course, that said, I should admit that as soon as I put the pattern down and tried to wing it I screwed up a bunch of rows that had to be ripped and re-done. Thankfully it was only 4 rows and I'm doing much better now. If I could only find my other size 8 needle....

1 comment:

micah_gideon said...

Good luck crankin' out 2,500 scarves! I completely understand the delay...