Aug 20, 2007

DQ's Shawl

My second finished object for this week is the handspun shawl I made for DQ. You may recall that I finished it while she was at camp so I postponed the photo shoot.

DQ in her Shawl

Here is DQ in her shawl and the dress it was indended to match. This picture was taken last Saturday. We had a Bat mitzvah to go to and this was one of the many outfits DQ tried on. Sadly, the dress may be a little short on her now but it did match really well, didn't it?

Handspun Flower Basket

This shawl may not be of the softest wool or my finest work but it is very special because it was made with some of my first significant handspun. As I've said earlier, I learned so much while knitting this. I learned that I was spinning quite tightly when I made this. There were way too many corkscrews in it. On the positive side, there were many sections that were quite thin - thinner than I would normally feel comfortable with but I found that it knit up just fine. I hope that in the future I'll be less afraid to get thin.
I learned a bit about selecting the fiber too. I recall that when I bought this last October it was a spontaneous decision. I liked the color so I bought it. End of story. Working with this yarn I see that it's not the softest thing in the world. I'd like to think that I'm more selective now. I've tried a few diffferent types of wool since I spun this and I can see the differences. I'll take my time and consider what I'm buying and what I'd like to do with it. At least I hope I will.

4 comments:

Adrienne said...

It's beautiful!

Sarah-potterknitter said...

They are both beautiful! It seems like DQ has Matured so much in the months I've been reading.

margene said...

It's a beautiful shawl! Knitting with handspun is the best way to learn how to improve. Nice work!

Carol said...

Oh how fabulous! DQ looks so lovely in this, she'll just have to get a new dress to match :) Aren't I generous with your money? This had to be very much worth every minute, it's gorgeous and you got so much more than a pretty shawl out of the experience.