Aug 19, 2007

Stealth Knitting

Lately there has been very little bloggable knitting but this week I aim to stop that trend. I'm not just going to stop it - I'm gonna start a new trend and present a whole bunch of finished objects.
Item number one is a sweet little dress I made for my friend Felicia's baby.


Baby Dress for PeapodTrim Detail for Peapod

This is actually the debut of this project on the blog. I couldn't post any of the project shots for two reasons. First, Felicia reads the blog and I wanted to keep it a secret. Second, I spent much of the past few weeks wanting to throw this somewhere... out a window, in a corner, at someone. I just wanted to be free of it.
Here is the dress on Peapod. That's what we called her before she was born. Naturally she has a real name now but I can't help calling her Peapod. Isn't she cute? Better yet, the dress clearly fits and it will for a while more. Yay! There is nothing better than completing a gift while it still fits the giftee.
Peapod in her dress 2So lets talk about this project in a bit of detail. In truth, it's not a bad pattern and I love the colors (chosen by Stinkerbelle) used in this sweet little dress. The pattern was a Dale of Norway pattern and it was pretty simple and not horrible to follow. There were a few spots where a little more instruction would've been handy but if you have a bit of experience it all works ok.
What didn't I like about it? For starters this is knit on size 2 needles. I saw that and thought no problem. It was a baby dress! Small! How long could it possibly take? Ummm.... it took for-freakin'-ever. I knit it throughout our vacation and in every spare moment since. I will say now, for the record, that aside from socks I can't think of too many things I'd like to make on 2's.
The other issue I had was with the yarn. I didn't hate it and I suspect I'll use it again but it was not fun to work with. It was kind of splitty and it tended to fuzz if I fussed with it too much. Yuck! On the other hand it is washable wool which is a plus with baby wear. It also comes in great colors that are soft and have a nice sheen.

7 comments:

Carole Knits said...

I think it's wonderful and I'm sure Felicia must love it. That's what makes it all worth while.

Anonymous said...

That is the cutest thing EVER. I love it!

Anonymous said...

It's almost worth having another baby - lol - - - you or me?

Krista said...

That is so adorable! I love it!

Cursing Mama said...

its beautiful - and I wouldn't even know that it had been a difficult knit.

Anonymous said...

Just so everyone knows, it is a beautiful dress that fits PeaPod perfectly. I love it on her.

Felicia

Kristi aka Fiber Fool said...

It looks adorable! It may have been a bit of a PITA, but well done!