Sep 6, 2007

Startitis Again

What is it about finishing a big (or lingering) project that makes you want to cast on for everything under the sun? Is it just me?Knittin' 004 Since I finished the blankie, I've started a Dream Swatch and made 2 washcloths.
The Dream Swatch was something I had wanted to make for quite a while. When I was in Blacksburg I saw one all knit up in Twize, a 100% bamboo yarn. The yarn feels wonderful and looks great - it's sinfully soft. The color I'm using is the same one they used for the sample at the shop but somehow I'm not loving how this is working out. Isn't that just the weirdest thing?
Knittin' 007The washcloths are another story alltogether. Last summer, when we bought the yarn for the blankie, I had no idea how much I'd need. It was the kind of thing where you cast on and see where it takes you. (I can't be the only one who does that) Lack of planning and an extreme fear of running out of yarn led me to buy 3 balls of each color. Yes, 3 of each of the 10 colors. I only used one of most colors and there are bits lest over from all of them.
Operating under the influence of fresh, home grown, garden veggies I decided that our house needs to phase out the use of paper towels. I'm thinking that if, over the course of the next year or so I churn out a cloth or 2 each week, we'd have quite the collection and I could whittle away the ridiculous stash of Sugar & Cream. Even as I write this I know it's probably a crazy idea but I'm gonna see how far it goes. What can it hurt? There are an amazing number of patterns out there to try and... they're washcloths. If one turns out ugly, who cares? It'll still be good for cleaning up spills. Two cloths down and a whole stash to go!

4 comments:

Kristi aka Fiber Fool said...

You're not along in your startitis at all. I find mysel often doing that sort of thing upon the completion of a long-term project. Shoot, it probably applies to my non-knitting life as well :-)

We haven't eliminated paper towel usage here. There are some things where that is the natural choice. But we only buy the select-a-size type so we can more easily take an appropriate amount for the task. We also only go through a roll every 4-6 months. And whenever possible the used toweling goes into the compost pile too. It's all about balance in the end, right?

Carole Knits said...

szvgo

Carol said...

Alone?! Are you kidding? I thought that was the norm;)

Cursing Mama said...

I always keep a washcloth project going in the car; whenever I'm the rider even on short trips I've got something to keep my occupied. Also comes in handy when I'm waiting for kids at their activities. You'll be amazed at how much you end up loving them and wanting more...