Oct 22, 2007

Clapotis!

Kiss SomeoneAs predicted, I finished my Clapotis right before I left for Hershey so I was able to do my photo shoot during the little getaway. I was so in love with it that I just had to throw it around my shoulders right away. This would've been a fabulous plan had it not been in the 80's with 99.9% humidity. I speak from experience when I say that wearing wool on the Metro when it's hot and humid is a very stupid idea. Did I mention that it was jam packed? The Metro was so full that they couldn't even shoehorn any more people on and I stood the whole ride. Ewwww.... and oh my aching feet!
Clapotis Close-UpAlthough the debut was a little less successful than I would like, I feel no less in love with my gorgeous new Clapotis. It is a wonderful pattern and a fabuous yarn.
If you haven't yet experienced Brooks Farm Yarn then I have to say that you are really missing something wonderful. Seriously! What are you waiting for? I have heard ravings from others and admired it for a while but I wasn't sure exactly what I'd do with it. A yarn that special needs a great project. It all came together at MDS&W this year. They had an example of a Clapotis made from Four Play which is a 50/50 blend of silk and wool. This stuff is delish! I tried really hard to capture the sheen it has but I fear that I failed. As I knit, it seemed irridescent at times (wouldn't that be cool?) but it's just the deep lustre the silk adds. Clapotis Expanse
The silk content and the fineness of the wool also makes for a really soft yarn that's got a wonderful drape. I cannot wait for Fall to really arrive so that I can wear my new Clapotis. It was nearly 80 here today! That is just so wrong.
I can totally see why this pattern is so popular. It's simple and yet there's just enough going on to keep it interesting. This is what I knit while I sat by Stinkerbelle's bedside in the hospital and this is the first thing I reached for as I emerged from the fog brought on by my father's death. It was simple and comforting. I can even see myself making another one someday - perhaps as a gift.
The only question now is what to do with the little bit of leftover yarn. Damn! I knew I should've made it just a litttle bigger.

7 comments:

Cursing Mama said...

It's spectacular - Clapotis is one of those patterns that keeps calling me & I somehow manage to squash that voice. Maybe soon.

CrazyFiberLady said...

Your clapotis is beautiful. I have some Four Play in stash that I bought last year at NYSW to knit clapotis and just picked up some more this weekend for the new Ribby Pulli. Hearing your experience with yarn just bumped both projects higher on the queue :)

margene said...

Beautiful! I've got the yarn...just need the time!

Carole Knits said...

It's beautiful, Hillary!

Kristi aka Fiber Fool said...

That is beautiful! While I haven't yet knit with Brook's Farm yarn, I have fondled it and it seems a fantastic choice for Clapotis. How much do you have left over??

Krista said...

I feel like I don't have the patience to knit one, although I'd love to now that I've seen yours. I love the blue! Congrats!

Carol said...

Gorgeous! I so love the colors and discovered through a gift that I love Brooks Farm yarns! That must feel wonderful, certainly looks great on you!