Oct 3, 2008

My DC - Week 32

Not all of my DC is pretty. Some of it is pretty sad like the National Bank of Washington building. I pass it just about every day on the way in to work and I often wonder about it. What was it like in it's heyday? What was it like before birds, repurposing and general neglect took their toll?

DSC_0057
Look at the details on the building. Some of them are just so lovely. I particularly like the heavy looking metal doors and the round medallions on either side of the doorway.

National Bank of Washington

Over the years I've occasionally seen the street-level windows used to display art by local artists but mostly this building just sits, sad and abandoned. That could be changing soon though. I did a little research while preparing this post and found a site proclaiming that this edifice will soon become the Armenian Genocide Museum.

2 comments:

Carole Knits said...

It's a shame when beautiful buildings sit unused.

Lola said...

Wow . . . that's amazing. We're acquaintances with a family (we occasionally visit the church they attend) who were so affected by the Armenian Genocide. Looking at their family name you wouldn't think their family background originated in Armenia, and yet this is exactly why the family changed their name and tried to forget about it all. I only found out about this when I read one of the family member's blog, where one of the entries was about a protest that had been held last year or so.