Apr 28, 2009

Going to the Game

Ready for the GameAre you ready? Do you care?

Tonight is game 7 of the playoff series between the NY Rangers and the Washington Capitals. I saw this guy coming out of the Metro this morning and I thought it was funny that he was wearing his suit and carrying a Caps jersey. Clearly he's ready to Rock The Red in his Ovechkin jersey.

My family is ready too although tonight is a busy one for us. We will not be going to the Caps game. I will be going to Stinkette's softball game tonight - the first this season that they'll play under the lights (at night). DQ has dance class and Hubbo volunteered to leave Stink's game early to take DQ to dance. I detect an alterior motive here. I suspect that he's just anxious to plant himself in front of the teevee and watch the game. He'll probably be wearing his jersey.

A quick check of our closets at home would present an interesting picture for today but sadly I didn't think to take it. We are very much a hockey family and you'd see Caps t-shirts and jerseys in DQ's closet, Stinkerbelle's closet, and Hubbo's closet.

In my closet there is a Rangers jersey. Number 35 - Mike Richter, one of the most successful American goaltenders in history, thank you very much. He led the Rangers to a historic Stanley Cup win in 1994 but he retired in 2003 ... it's a very old jersey. This jersey is the reason why I get harassed by my family all hockey season long.

I haven't seen a Ranger game in years.

I couldn't name a single member of the current team.

After 12 years of living in Virginia I no longer feel like a New Yawka.

The Caps are a great team with fabulous, fan-friendly, owners.

Why can't I let go of my Ranger jersey?

3 comments:

JessaLu said...

I'm not a hockey fan but good luck to your team! :o)

Carole Knits said...

It's a link to your past and there's nothing wrong with that!

Sarah-potterknitter said...

Hey, we're a Hurricanes family around here, but my husband has a penguins jersey. Left over from the days before NC ever thought they'd have a team.