Feb 8, 2010

Escape From Snowmageddon 2010

This weekend was such and adventure. It's hard to know where to start. Perhaps it's best to take it one thing at a time which was exacty my approach to the great adventure.

Friday was insane. Our bags were packed and ready to go and then the snow started falling. Schools never even opened but my office did and, the satellite tv guys still came out to do the install. Through it all the snow fell and I worried about if we'd actually get to NYC. My stomache was tied up in knots!

DSC_1063

By 3pm my office had finally given in to the snow and closed and, with one of out cars secure in the covered garage at Union Station, my little family was on a train bound for NY. We all heaved a huge sigh of relief.

We attended my niece's Sweet Sixteen and it was so worth all the stress to be there with our family for a happy occasion. On Saturday afternoon before the party we even got to squeeze in a visit with my grandparents. DQ, Stinkette, my grandfather and I played Rummy-o. I lost every game but DQ won once, my grandfather one once, and Stinkette kicked our butts twice!

DSC_1073

Late Saturday night as the party wound down it was panic time again. Planes weren't flying into DC and many of the trains had been cancelled. Thankfully we got on one of the few trains that did run and we arrived home last night to find streets that hadn't been plowed and cars were stuck everywhere.

DSC_1082

Once we did get home we found a driveway that we couldn't get into. Thankfully our neighbor had shoveled hers so we had a place to put our car until we were able to shovel ours.

Now, to add insult to injury, we're under a storm warning again. They expect 6-12 inches to fall.

2 comments:

Carole Knits said...

I'm so glad you made it there and back safely. Good luck with more snow!

margene said...

Just last night I wondered if you were able to survive the snow and it's good to hear your trip was fun and not delayed in any way. We'd take any amount of snoe that would come our way. Stay warm!!