Apr 19, 2011

Ten on Tuesday - Ten Things You Love About Your Family

Happy Passover to all who are celebrating. Last night was the first seder and we were fortunate to be invited to a friends house, as we are tonight. Normally I would be hosting the crowds but we are lucky to have good friends who took over and made sure that I wouldn't be taking on too much extra work right now. I love them.

It was a lovely meal and a fun celebration - except maybe the paper "hail" that landed in all of our food and drink. The company was great too and I met new people and reconnect with others. There was a bit of a hiccup though. At one point I was standing and talking in the kitchen. Someone asked about the obvious bump and when I was due. Just then, the mother of a friend of mine interrupted and said that she didn't know I was pregnant - she just thought I was heavy. My friend and I quickly excused ourselves to get a bit of fresh air lest we start laughing on the spot.

I am so thankful that my family usually has the sense not to say such things out loud. That's probably the perfect #1 for my list of things I love about my family.


DSC_0889

2. Laughter - I love giggling over silly things like getting caught in the rain with my family. My girls and I can laugh endlessly over the dumbest things.

3. Traditions - I am really big on traditions. My girls are getting older now and we discuss the future a lot. One of the thngs we talk about a lot is how I hope tha the traditions that we've built are important enough for them to carry them on.

4. They are there for us - Sometimes more than others but always in the ways that count. My mother in law's passing has left a huge void and other relatives are already stepping in to try to help us get through it. It means so much.

5. My grandparents - I've said it before but it bears repeating. Not a day goes by without a mention of my grandparents. They are awesome and it means everything to me that my girls and my husband have shared them with me. They may be miles away but they are totally with us.

6. Quirkiness - There is nothing boring about my family. They are always up to something and it keeps life interesting.

7. My girls make me so proud - Every single day I have a reason to look at my girls and feel so proud and happy that they're mine. They are exactly the kind of people I hoped that they'd be.

8. The way we blend - Bruce and I are both children of divorced parents and on his side we were fortunate enough that his mom married a man who loved her dearly and had great kids of his own. It gave Bruce a brother in every sense of the word. I can't imagine life without them. It's such a gift that we have enjoyed such great times together and will for years to come.

9. Family vacations - I remember summers at Lake Champlain with my Canadian cousins and weekends in Pennsylvania with my sister's family. Always such fun.

10. Support - It often seems like our family is a web spread out over the world and no matter what you need, there is someone who can help - with anything.

1 comment:

Carole Knits said...

Some people just have no class. I'm glad you could laugh about it, though. Great list and I love your family, too.