Mar 1, 2010

Gold!

For those of you who have not yet seen them on Ravelry, here are my finished Ruba'iyat Mittens. Words cannot adequately express how pleased I am with them - mostly because I expected that they'd be an epic fail.

This was not my first experience with stranded knitting but it is the first success. The other 2 items are long standing UFO's and unlikely to ever see the light of day. They are puckered and pathetic. This history of failure is why I chose stranded knitting for my Ravelympic project. It's not a challenge if it's a sure thing.

DSC_1226

I used a combination of Dream in Color Smooshy in Spring Tickle and KP Essential Kettle Dyed in Soot for these mittens. Not only are these yarns incredibly soft and warm but I think that the subtle variegation in the colors adds a pleasing depth to the pattern.

DSC_1220

Of course the yarn is only part of the story and the project would look like total crap if the stitches were puckery. It's a little indulgent but I just have to share these 2 pictures to demonstrate how smooth these stitches are. These have been finished since last Thursday and I still can't believe how even the stitches came out. Inside out or rightside out - they make me smile.

DSC_1225

The pattern was really easy to follow and I found it to be a good one for learning stranded knitting. I especially like the way the cuff pattern isn't pefectly centered so it doesn't look all matchy.

There was only one place where I had trouble and that's the thumb. Three times I tried to pick up the stitches so that the palm pattern would continue perfectly and three times I failed. You can't see it most of the time and it's really pretty close but I know the imperfection is there and it's making me a little obsessive about getting it right. I'm wondering if there is a pattern out there where the thumb instructions are written in a foolproof way or at least explained better.

DSC_1222

So, what's the takeaway from this experience? I really like stranded knitting. I know myself well enough to know that I'm way too ADD to tackle a sweater and get it finished in a reasonable time frame but there are certainly more mittens, and maybe hats, in my future. A whole mess of KP Palette and the Latvian Mittens book may have arrived on my doorstep I the last week or so. And did I mention that I saw (and fondled) a Starmore hat kit last weekend. To. Die. For!

8 comments:

margene said...

Your mittens are as much an accomplishment as any sweater! Enjoy your Gold medal and your mittens!

Carole Knits said...

They are fantastic and you conquered your fear of stranded knitting! Hooray!

JessaLu said...

Lovely mittens! You did a great job - though I do know what you mean about knowing there is a glitch. Makes me crazy when that happens. ;o)

Sarah said...

Congrats on the gold! I saw them on Knitvana and cheered. These are lovely mittens. Once I finish my Ravelympic project, I will add the thumbs to my mittens.

Unknown said...

They look awesome!! I have yet to tackle stranded knitting, but you're inspiring me!!

Kristi aka Fiber Fool said...

Congrats! The tension on those is amazing, well done!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful job on the mittens! I've been meaning to try stranded knitting for a while - one of these days maybe I'll actually do it.

Laurie said...

You bad girl. Not only did you make fabulous mittens (my Chevrons SUCK), but you made me go look at Hat Trick. DId you use a specific trick to get the floats even?