I often feel like I live in my car. You'd think that it would be less so now that DQ has her license. That having one less child in need of taxi service would help. It doesn't. Not really. I still spend lots of time in my car but now I spend more of it on errands. It's the curse of suburbia.
I suspect that I'm not alone in this. It's the sheer amount of time I spend in my car that causes the mess found within. That and the children. When I bought my current car a few years ago I had every intention of keeping it immaculate and for a while it was. I was very strict about what could and could not be brought into my car. I insisted that the girls leave their spots as they found them.
Then Miss M arrived.
From the moment I became pregnant I knew the days of having a clean vehicle were numbered. I could sense the Cheerios staking their claim. It was inevitable.
So this ToT topic is a little bit of an issue for me. I wish I found it harder to come up with a list. I wish it didn't have quite so much kid stuff on it. I wish that I could still offer a ride to someone without first calculating how I could shift the mess within.
- A Soccer Mom Chair - for watching softball games or Miss M on a playground. My old back demands it.
- Umbrellas of all sizes - I have ginormous golf umbrellas and smaller ones I can toss in a bag. You never know when you'll need one.
- Towels - I really can't explain these. I think they multiply in my trunk like bunnies. They are handy from time to time.
- Shopping bags - I am green and take them with me. I just don't always remember to take them into the store but I'm working on that.
- Chap stick - I always like to have one handy.
- My firewire cord - I love to hook up my iPod in the car so I keep one in my center console.
- Tic tacs - I have a very large pack of these. I pop a few most days when I get in my car after work. I don't know why.
- Windex and paper towels - I keep these in my trunk so that I can clean my windows whenever the spirit moves me. If I have to go find them in the house then the moment will pass without action.
- Window Scraper Widget - Not the one for icy weather - this is like a blade for removing old, gnarly stickers from my windows. Why? See #8.
- Napkins - always handy. Remember, there are kids in my car.