Jan 29, 2013

Ten on Tuesday - 10 Ways to Beat the Winter Blahs

We've had so darn much rain lately.  It's depressing.  And when it rains on a Monday it's even worse.  You just want to crawl back in bed.  So what do you do?

IMG_0832

  1. See a good movie - the last one I saw was Django Unchained.  So totally Tarantino.
  2. Knit something you really love.  I just made myself a new hat with a pattern I adore and a yarn that rock.  Stay tuned for the results.
  3. Read a good book - or 3.  I am on a serious reading kick right now and I'm plowing through books that have been on my to-read list for ages.
  4. Go to the nursery - I went recently to ask a few questions about yard maintenance that I'd postponed.  It turns out that it was a perfect time to fertilize etc so I came home and spent a few minutes with my clippers and fertilizer. Looking forward to the spring.
  5. Play with a cute baby - admittedly, not everyone has one available but when you do it's a perfect antidote.
  6. Tackle a project that you've been putting off.  You have no idea how restorative it can be to clean a closet. So weird!
  7. Take out your shiny new camera and look for pretty things to photograph - If you don't have a new one, the old one would do I suppose.
  8. Bake, or cook something delicious - really anything in the kitchen is good.  The other day I found happiness at the bottom of a bowl of tomato soup. 
  9. Buy some awesome yarn - I went to one (ok 2) of my favorites stores this month and helped the bottom line at each of them greatly.  That is all I will say.  We'll not speak of the assorted online purchases.  Trust me though - some of the stuff that folloewed me home totally rocks and would make me smile on the darkest winter day.
  10. Take a vacation - this one is just wishful thinking but wouldn't it be great?
Then again, when the temps bounce between 30 and 70 degrees from day to day it's hard to feel the winter blahs for long.

2 comments:

Kristi aka Fiber Fool said...

I'm with you on #3 and following your #8 suggestions this evening by putting together some refrigerator cookie dough to bake up tomorrow after work :-D Thanks for sharing your list!

Carole said...

We're getting a big warm up tomorrow, too. Hooray! I wish it was going to come with sunshine but I guess that's not the case.