Jun 25, 2009

Good Things

Today is all about good things. I'm thrilled that there are enough of them to warrant a post.

First up is something I saw yesterday that will doubtless make lot's of people happy. If you follow this link it leads to a press release dated May 26th announcing that the National Book Festival will take place on September 26th, 2009. It reads in part:

"We are delighted that the President and Mrs. Obama are committed to bringing this inspirational event to people of all ages nationwide," said Librarian of Congress James H. Billington. "The National Book Festival has become a true American institution. It is a joyous and very popular celebration of books and reading in the Washington, D.C. area."

I couldn't agree more. Since the election I heard from many friends who felt, like me, that this event was one of the few positives about the previous administration and we were anxious to see that it continue. I am so happy to hear that it will and I've marked the date on my calendar. My family and I can't wait to se the list of authors appearing this year.

Another good thing is the progress I see in my garden. Despite a late start and crazy weather it seems that things are actually growing in our garden. The 4 corn stalks have transitioned well to from indoors to out and appear to be thriving. Our zucchini and pumpkin plants are also growing and close inspection revealed a blossom on one of the zucchini plants. I'm collecting zucchini recipes in anticipation of a fabulous harvest.
Corn - 6-22-09Zucchini Blossom - 6-22-09

As if that wasn't enough,I finished the first Un-Stinky sock yesterday and immediately cast on for the mate. Even better, I'm nearly finished sewing in the picot hems on the little lacy dress and most of the ends are already woven in. Now i need to decide what to make next because naked needles cannot be tolerated.

What's making you happy today?

2 comments:

sprite said...

Hooray for squash! I need to plant mine, as I seem to have neglected planting anything after I got the initial crops into the ground. I am awash in lettuce, though, so I'm delighted with my garden so far.

And I'm happy about the weekend plans which include a trip to the beach. I grew up practically living at the beach in the summer, so it's painful only to get to visit it periodically.

Sarah said...

I'm happy to see your happiness.