Last night I had to do something I had avoided so far. I turned on comment moderation. Someone has chosen to spend their free time making anonymous personal attacks in the comments.
I've thought long and hard about how to address this - or not. The bottom line is that this blog was started as an outlet for me to express myself and to connect and it's given me a lot of joy and comfort. I refuse to give this up and I shouldn't have to.
I have always maintained a certain level of respect in the comments I leave on other blogs and I feel I have a right to expect the same in return. There are people out there with opinions I don't agree with, knitters with bad taste, and people who irritate me. It's my right not to read those blogs and I often exercise that right by clicking away. It is not my right to harass these people for saying things I disagree with. If a blog bothers you so much, feel free not to read it.
This situation is a bit annoying but it' mostly sad to think that there is someone out there with nothing better to do than stalk my little blog. On the positive side, it makes me appreciate my friends who leave positive comments just that much more.
So, since I don't use my free time to harass bloggers anonymously you may wonder what I do with my free time. Well, this week's Ten on Tuesday topic is 10 Favorite Things to do During "Me" time.
- Read - right now it's Life Sentences by Laura Lippman. Excellent so far.
- Knit - all the time.
- Garden - pulling weeds can be so satisfying
- Bake - I love to bake but I try not to do it too often for obvious reasons
- Get a mani/pedi - sooo relaxing.
- Spin - once I get started it's hard to stop
- Watch TV - HGTV and Food Network are my weakness and I'm a sucker for a Law & Order marathon
- Play with my camera - I especially love to troll my garden with my macro lens. Such fun!
- Get crafty - painting, candlemaking, sculpting - it doesn't matter. I love to create.
- Relax with my girls - we can just sit and talk and hang out for hours. This may be my favorite thing of all.