Jul 27, 2010

Ten on Tuesday - 10 Things to Do Instead of Watching TV

Are there really 10 things to do instead of watching TV? Just kidding. I know there are. I'm actually the most likely in our house to turn off the TV and do something else.

1. Read a book - What kind of a librarian would I be if this wasn't the first thing on my list?
2. Play board games - This is the most likely reason that our family will turn off the TV on purpose. Stinkette loves family time playing games.
3. Talk - Call a friend, visit a neighbor or talk to your family. You never know what you'll find out if you ask.
4. Spin - Truthfully this is better for me with the TV on but I suppose that it's possible to become one with the wheel and bliss out on wool fumes to the point where the environment becomes irrelevant.
5. Knit - Again, I like it better with TV, like watching the season premiere of Project Runway on Thursday - Squee! I can see this as a quiet activity, especially if you're working on really complicated knitty math or lace.
6. Go to the pool - No TV in the pool but it's awesome anyway.
7. Go to a concert - They have concerts at the lakeside park in our neighborhood on friday nights in the summer and we nearly abandoned the TV to go last week but it was still in the high 90's at 6pm and I would surely have melted.
8. Gardening - now there's a good excuse to turn the TV off and get outside. Free the garden from the camouflage of weeds. Then again, that could just be my garden.
9. Go for a walk - exercise.
10. Read - I started with this one too but it really can't be overstated. Read a book, a magazine, a cookbook or even a knitting book. Stimulate your mind.


IMG_3187[1]

5 comments:

Carole Knits said...

Reading can never be overstated. A great list.

Seanna Lea said...

I have to wonder how many of us are either librarians by degree or work in libraries.

Natalie Rush said...

Great list...but I agree I knit and spin while watching tv. Where do you get the topics for Ten on Tuesday?

Anonymous said...

Great list!

Laurie said...

I love that phrase: camouflage of weeds.