Jan 16, 2007

How to Receive a Hand Knit

The holidays may be over but there is one subject left to be covered. Who stays and who goes? You know what I mean… who received their hand knit holiday gift with an appropriate response and who didn’t. No, I am not going to shame them publicly because that would be mean. I’d rather offer a little bit of constructive criticism in the form of a small list of do’s and don’ts. Besides, there are other knittable occasions coming up so you can consider this a little PSA.

DO – Write us a little note telling us how you loved the hand knit you received. Telling us how you saw us making it, or a picture posted on our blog, and hoped that it was for you – this is like gold.


DON’T – Wait. Ya gotta’ know that we are waiting for some sign that it fits. Don’t make us ask. Countless times we stop to measure and contemplate. Doesn’t it look a little small? Should I add the ruffled cuff or leave it off? This shade of blue isn’t too girly for him – is it? We agonize over these things and wait on pins and needles to hear that it’s just right.


DO – Send pictures of yourself wearing or otherwise enjoying the hand knit. You may be creative just as long as you convey feelings of joy. We knitters like to thing that our gifts spread happiness and evidence on that is always welcome.


DON’T – Say “Oh, how nice” when we tell you we made it ourselves. This is the general equivalent of “that’s interesting” and really, is there any response more deflating than one of obvious disappointment.


DO – Casually wear the hand knits when you see us. This is even better that pictures. Perhaps we’ll spy a glimpse of a brightly colored sock when the cuff of your pants rides up as you sit. Maybe the scarf we made will be thrown jauntily over your shoulder when we pass you in the supermarket. This is all good.

Pro – con – pro… always end on a positive so this list is done. I have made the appropriate edits to the list of those I will knit for and I’m ready to move along. I’m happy to say that those who were redacted from my list don’t know about the blog and will probably never be any the wiser. I hope that all of your giftees responded happily.

By the way, did you see the Golden Globes last night. I was ok with most of them. I love Hugh Laurie in House and Kyra Sedgwick is great on The Closer. Sascha Baron Cohen's acceptance had me rolling. As awards shows go it was fine – not stellar but fine. What gave me a huge kick was watching them with my girls. When Eddie Murphy won, the Drama Queen commented that he’s probably won lots of awards. I told her that I thought it was the first and said that a lot of his earlier work wasn’t really award material. I was thinking of his time on SNL, 48 Hours, Beverly Hills Cop etc. Stinkerbelle and DQ were thinking more of Daddy Day Care and Shrek. I reminded them that he did other things before that. So Stink says “Oh, I know, like Dr. Dolittle.”

10 comments:

Carole Knits said...

I remember Eddie Murphy from SNL, too. My friends and I had a tape of him that we listened to all the time back in college.
And your list is perfect. And explains why I don't knit for certain people anymore!

margene said...

I'd say if you're giving gifts to people who you need to 'teach' how to receive them then it's a lost cause. Save the knitting for yourself. We watched 24 and not the GG.

clothesknit said...

We need to get your list of dos/don'ts published in a national paper! It is a perfect list :o)

Anonymous said...

That is a great list, even for items that are not handmade. You should submit this post to the next Yarnival so more people read it! :-)

Krista said...

You know, I almost never get thanks for my hand knits. Sometimes I get an email months later after I email them asking them if they even got the gift. And then they ask if I actually did knit it. If someone handknit a thing for me I'd call them up and send them a fruit basket! Good list for every non-knitter to read!

Carol said...

We didn't watch any TV last night. The satellite reciever went bye bye. Are you an Emily Post fan by any chance?:)

Hannah said...

Thanks for allowing me to post this on Yarnival!

Anonymous said...

You can knit for me anytime and I promis to where it! Your stuff is beautiful.

Liz K. said...

Loved the list, and totally spot-on. My knit-for list is an ever-changing beast!

Rhonda the Stitchingnut said...

If only more people would make stuff for ME... even knit. I just hate hearing, "But you knit such beautiful things yourself. You wouldn't want something I made." Good Gosh, of course I would! Knit for me pleeease.

p.s. your list is great!