Feb 13, 2007

R

A few weeks ago Kristi had a great post about the letter C. I enjoyed reading it so much that I asked her for a letter. She gave me an R and I've been working on this post ever since. R started out as a really tough letter for me so I asked my family to suggest some R words. They were happy to help and I learned that my daughters have great vocabularies and that they watch way too much HGTV (they suggested refurbish, redesign, reconstruction). Even so, many of their ideas made it onto the list. I may be the very last person to do this meme but if you would like your own letter just let me know in the comments!

Presenting, the letter R...

Red HairRed – One of my best friends in New York, who introduced me to hubbo, loved bold statements in color and design. I preferred things a little more subdued. Her favorite color was red which she called a “power color.” I now see that she was absolutely correct. Red is powerful indeed! Over the years I have come to appreciate it more and more – red cars, red jackets, red sweaters. Of course the arrival of my favorite red-head had a little something to do with that.


Read – I cannot imagine my life without books. As a child I was well known at my local library I would go there and borrow piles and piles of books. Between the two of us, my sister and I would do fabulous things for the library’s circulation and would stay up reading long past bedtime. In school my teachers would occasionally confiscate my library books because I just couldn't stand to put a good book down. Today I’ve turned my love of reading into a profession and become a librarian. I love it. This is the perfect career for me.

Relax – I really wish that I could relax but it seems like there is always something that needs doing. Do you know what I mean? If ever I did find the time though, I know just what I’d do. I’d grab a good book, a tall glass of iced tea, some tunes, my knitting and rest on a chaise by a pool, river, lake or ocean. Any body of water will do.

VAmapRelocate – This year is a big one for my family because in July it will be ten years since we relocated from New York to Virginia. It was a move that we never expected but it has been the best decision we ever made. Moving far from your family teaches you a lot about yourselves and life in general. It forces you to go out and create a new "family" for yourself. We have been extraordinarily lucky to have made some good choices that rewarded us with a tight group of friends that make our life rich and satisfying.

Renovate – Two years after arriving in Virginia we bought our first house. I can still remember describing it to hubbo as my “house with possibilities”. It still has possibilities but I remain paralyzed with fear so the renovations that we want so badly are still little more than a dream. Maybe this will be the year that they become reality.
Frankie


Reptile – Ahhhh, our dear Frankie. As I’ve said before, I never would have imagined having a reptile for a pet. Turtles aren't warm or furry or cuddly but... they are so amusing. Anyone who's been at our house can tell you that Frankie is very much a part of things. It might even be said that she runs things to a certain degree. When you come home in the middle of the day she splashes around loudly to let you know that you're not welcome. When you awake in the middle of the night to the sound of banging, it's not a burglar, it's Frankie rearranging her tank.
Berries in bowl


Rugelach – Yum! This Jewish pastry is a huge favorite around our house. The dough is spread with chocolate, cinnamon, raisins, walnuts or some other sweet treat and rolled up into tasty cookies. I've never made it but I'd like to try.

Ripe - Is there anything that says summer more than a bowl of ripe berries? I love fruit - pineapples, cherrys, oranges, grapefruit, apples but the berries are my favorites - strawberrries, blueberries, raspberries, cranberries. This year will be the second for the blueberry bushes I planted on the side of our house. It was something I'd always wanted and I can't wait for them to bear fruit. DQ, hubbo, and I will have blueberry smiles all summer long.

2 comments:

Krista said...

What a fun game! VA is a great place to relocate to.

Kristi aka Fiber Fool said...

Oooo, that was a great post! My DH makes Rugelach from a Mark Gils Jewish Baking book I believe. The first try with jams as the filling didn't go too well, but he did it again with the cinnamon and sugar and they were fantastic! Thanks for playing!