Mar 13, 2007

Fibery Joy In Ottawa

As I mentioned yesterday, there was lots of fibery happiness in Canada. It started almost immediately because we arrived at the hotel in Ottawa with just enough time for me to drop hubbo and the girls off before heading off to pick up my brother at the airport... after a quick detour at a LYS.
Apple Laine YarnIt was so easy to find Wool-Tyme. It was located so close to the airport that it would've been criminal not to stop for a moment. The staff was really helpful and the place was full of really nice yarn but I really didn't really need to look far to find what I wanted. See this display full of Apple Laine? that's what I really wanted. Not only is it sock yarn but it's dyed right there in Ontario - perfectly acceptable within the parameters of KFYS 2007. Could there be any better knitty souvenir?

Apple Laine MackintoshHere's what I got. This is a lovely pile of 7 skeins of Apple Pie (50% Wool, 20% Mohair, 20% Silk & 10% Nylon) in Macintosh. It's destined to be Icarus - a shawl I love. I overbought by a bit but that's ok. If I have any left over then I can make socks to match. I's rather have too much than too little. Isn't it beautiful? I'll have to take it outside and get a better picture because the lighting in my dining room just doesn't do it justice.

There were other things to please my fiber loving self in this past weekend. My aunt and my cousins are knitters/crocheters too so I brought a sample of my spinning to show them and they loved it. If that wasn't good enough, my uncle, who's taken up wood turning, is going to try to make more bobbins for my wheel. Whee!

Last but certainly not least, I got a request from an unexpected place. A few months ago I made an orange hat for my brother-in-law and I sweat every stitch. He's kind of a tough customer so I was really worried that he wouldn't like it. Over dinner Saturday night he told me that he really loves it and wants another one. He just wants the new one to be warmer. I'm thinking double-knit maybe. I've never tried that. Any suggestions for a manly double-knit hat that would look cool in hunters blaze orange?

BTW. It's Margene's birthday today. Go on over and wish her a happy one.

7 comments:

Melissa said...

OMG...the Apple Pie is awesome. These pictures made me want to drool......

knitfriendly said...

I am SO envious of your apple pie yarn! I received two skeins of it from the Pick Up Sticks sock club and it is so pretty. I love the color that you picked. That is so great that your uncle is going to make bobbins for your wheel! Wow! As for a warm hat, I would check out the pattern for "a very warm hat" from Elizabeth Zimmerman. It is reversable and is basically two hats seamed together and one is pushed into the other. I believe that it is in two of her books but the pattern in Knitting Around is more detailed than the one in The Opinionated Knitter. I just googled it and found that someone posted their FO here: http://www.gaea-creations.com/vwhat.html Good luck! :)

Cursing Mama said...

That yarn looks fantastic - just the kind of stuff I would put in my stash just to have ;)

As for a manly, double knit, will look good in blaze orange hat pattern - I have a feeling its a make it as you go kind of hat. Maybe some ribbing...

Carole Knits said...

Wouldya look at that wall of Apple Laine! I'm jealous.

margene said...

Great purchase! Thank you for the good wishes and the martini recipe, too!

Elspeth said...

That is so gorgeous! I'm going to have to find my own!

aija said...

Wow.... nice display! Apple Laine is one of those (rare) yarns I still really want to try someday :)