Apr 28, 2006

Auction Anxiety

AubergineDo you remember this bag? It’s Aubergine and it’s up for auction tonight at my daughter's school fundraiser. This is freaking me out a little today because I’m one of those people who gets really uncomfortable about trying to put a value on what I do. People have told me before that I ought to sell stuff I make and I consistently decline. It feels much better to give it away.

Don’t get me wrong – I love it when people appreciate what I’ve done but it makes me uncomfortable too. If this is confusing then please allow me to illustrate. I have two very distinct feelings about tonight. On one hand, I’d love it if everything was displayed on tables covered with cloths that swept the ground so that I could hide underneath and hear what people said. At the same time I feel relieved that the bag is part of the “silent” auction and the winners will be posted on a list on the wall. There will be nobody calling out “Isn’t there even one bid on the fugly bag?” Maybe next time I’ll just write a check instead. This is torture!


BTW - If you haven't seen it yet, CNN published a list of the worst songs this past Wednesday and I found it very amusing. You can check it out here.

No comments: