Apr 4, 2006

The Worst Job Since Keymaster *

It has to be Cookie Mom. It’s not so much the job itself as it is the fact that if you do it once then you’re stuck with it forever. I think that I’d have to do something really horrible to get out of it - like running off with the troop proceeds. That’s actually not a bad idea. I could go to Cancun and drink many margaritas with the money I’ve collected. I’d be free of cookie obligations for life AND get a vacation. The downside, of course, would be the involuntary, state-sponsored vacation that would await me upon my return. Damn! Anyway, I just made the last deposit for this year’s Girl Scout cookie sale and I’ll drop the last paperwork off tonight after work. By this time tomorrow I’ll be a very happy girl.

This is the first Jet sock. I finished it Saturday night as we watched George Mason play Florida in the Final Four. Bruce put it on immediately – perhaps the green might give Mason a little luck. Sadly the Patriots lost but the sock fits perfectly and it’s exactly what Bruce wanted. I could’ve gone longer on the leg but he said that this was the perfect length for him. Who am I to argue?
First finished Jet sock
In the same picture you see the very beginning of the second sock. No Second Sock Syndrome here! I was thinking about SSS on the way in this morning because I really have a lousy track record when it comes to finishing crafty stuff – or anything for that matter. (It would take a considerable effort to flash all of the crafty stuff that sits, unfinished, in my basement) It would be logical to expect that I would be the same with knitting and, as such, be a victim of SSS. Not so! I say that emphatically because I realized this morning that this will be the 5th pair of socks I finish this year. Not bad!

I am also nearing completion on Aubergine. It’s really not so fancy as bags go but it’ll do the job. I’m always amazed at the difference in the appearance of a bag before and after felting. Pre-felting they are blah and kind of shapeless. After felting they have more defined form and they can look really great. I’m never sure what the end result will be.
Aubergine - pre-felting
* Recognize this? It’s from Say Anything. I absolutely admit to being an 80’s throwback.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow, your Jet Sock looks mighty fine, and so does Aubergine - you're doing such great progress on both, you must have been knitting up a storm!
Oh, Cancun and margaritas? I'll come over as well :)