Jul 11, 2006

Trekking on a Sunny Saturday

I returned from my trip late last night. It was good but way too short. The main purpose was to drop the Drama Queen off at sleep away camp. As she settled in I heard her sigh and remark that she was home. I don’t think that I was supposed to hear that but it was nice anyway.

state lineI took a bunch of pictures during the trip and I’ll post a bunch of them over the next few days. We left northern Virginia early Saturday morning and drove down 81 to Tennessee. I tend to have a bit of a lead foot but I heard on the news that there was a special push to catch speeders so I slowed down a lot. I've made this trip a few times before and this is the longest it's ever taken.


We stopped a few times along the way for gas and meals and such. Lunch found us in Bristol Tennessee/Virginia. This town straddles the state line which, at one point, runs right down State Street and it’s delineated with brass markers like this one. It’s kind of cool and the street isn’t very busy so I let the sock have a look.

P7091125P7091124After lunch we cut across Tennessee and began to climb through the mountains. It was a beautiful Saturday so we stopped at a rest area on the side of the road as we made our way from Tennessee into North Carolina to take in the view of the mountains around us. Naturally, I took a bunch of pictures. I couldn’t post them at the time but here they are.
Better late than never – right?

mtn view

Most of the drive was done under skies that looked exactly like this. There were pretty, puffy clouds and blue skies as far as the eye could see. It was easy to get lost in the scenery and forget that I was driving 9 hours! It was long but the company was good.

Our day ended in the town where the Drama Queen goes to camp. It's in North Carolina but I'd rather not say exactly where it is. As I noted in an earlier post, the kids who attend her camp come from near and far and many of them stay at the same hotel we do the night befor Opening Day. It's a zoo! There were parties to attend, lugguge to drop off and THREE trips to W*l M*rt to buy stuff she forgot. Ugh! After all that I still have a box to send today of stuff she left in the car. Double Ugh!



2 comments:

Hannah said...

Oh how gorgeous! Beautiful scenery and knitting to match.

Krista said...

The views on your trip are incredible! Have fun!