Sep 18, 2006

Finding Funkiness

I was very busy knitting this weekend. There is a sale going on at my LYS so I went on Saturday afternoon and found the perfect yarn to dial up the funk on my Funky Scarf for the FS swap. I felt a little guilty going in there with the Knit Picks yarn but I reasoned that I was only bringing it in order to buy something to coordinate with it and that the purchase made it ok. No sooner had I walked in the door than the owner had me pulling all of the scarf yarn out of the Ziploc and was suggesting options for funkifying it. The second thing she showed me was perfect! I looked at it and knew instantly that it would work – and it does.

funky scarf

The colors aren’t showing up terribly true here but trust me – it looks better in person. The winning yarn is Paris Nights by Ironstone (color #10 I think) and it’s not something I’d usually use but it’s working so well here. It’s got a metallic strand that runs through it which would normally bother me terribly but the Andean Silk is so soft and puffy that it’s balancing out the potential scratchiness of the metallic strand well. I keep petting the scarf as I knit. I just love it.

DQ likes it too and has asked me to make one for her. I may just do that since this scarf is flying along. I switched to a new pair of size 8 Brittany’s to accommodate the extra strand so the scarf is a little looser and it’s growing fast. I ripped out the first scarf and restarted it when I returned from the LYS around 4:30 on Saturday. By the time I put it away late last night I had over 2 feet done and I still can’t put it down. There is something about the way the pattern twists and turns that is just so pleasing to the eye. I think it’s very graceful.

The rest of the weekend can be summed up thusly: shopping. I bought Stinkerbelle a whole bunch of new clothes for school in August and she tried them on but somehow, now that school has started, they are all too big. How does that happen? No worries – they’ll fit at some point in the future. For now I went and did back-to-school shopping round 2.

3 comments:

Stephanie said...

I love it! I think that pattern looks great - and fun to knit.

Anonymous said...

That is a really cool scarf!! You must be having such fun, just saying "one more row" all the time!

Krista said...

That is an amazing scarf! Very unique.