Jun 23, 2008

Monkey Socks!

I finished yet another pair of socks last week. Monkey Socks!

DSC_1428

This pattern is such fun and so easy. I memorized the full repeat before I even finished the first repeat and that made it the perfect walking around project. Just enough fun to be interesting and yet, easy to read so I didn't worry about getting lost if I out it down. This is about the definition of a good walking around knit.
Others have already extolled the virtues of this pattern much better than I ever could so I'll keep this short. The only change I made was to do an eye of partrige heel instead of the plain one that was prescribed. I just like the eye of partridge heel a lot.
DQ was kind enough to model these socks for me yet again and since she really liked them a lot I let her have them. She's wearing them today. What will I do when she goes away to camp... and then to my sister's house. She'll be gone for about 6 weeks! Who will model my socks then?

DSC_1427

So, how much did I really love this pattern? Well, before I even finished this pair I cast on for my second pair of Monkeys using Jojoland Melody Superwash but the color shifts were too subtle for this pattern. This is one of the few patterns that really demands strong color shifts to help define the directional changes. I frogged that version after 2 or 3 complete repeats and stash dove for better choice. I found it and cast on again last night. This time i'm using Tess Super Socks & baby in a gorgeous, nameless, colorway that is waaaay brighter than my norm in bold yellow, peach, raspberry and purple. I am in love but I didn't have a chance to get pictures yet so stay tuned for that.

2 comments:

Carole Knits said...

That pattern is definitely addicting. The socks look great!

margene said...

What is it about the Monkey pattern we love so much. Maybe starting one would bring back my sock mojo.