Jun 3, 2008

Wishbone Socks

Believe it or not, I finished another pair of socks last week. These are the Wishbone Socks by Nancy Bush (Rav link) that appeared in the March/April issue of Piecework. I don't usually get that magazine but I bought that issue after seeing these socks on a blog somewhere.
DSC_1096

I wanted to love this project but it bored me to tears. The yarn, Elann Sock I t to Me 4 Ply, is fine but unexciting. I think that I'm just so used to the variegateds and the semi-solids that a true solid just seems flat. There is nothing wrong with the yarn though and for about $3 a ball (2 balls per pair) it's very reasonable. I haven't washed them yet but they feel nice on my feet and I expect that they'll wear very well.
DSC_1095

The pattern is fine too. It worked out perfectly and the socks look very nice. They're just not exciting. You know what I mean? I found the pattern repetitive and just blah. I want to say that all-over patterns are the problem but I don't think that's is because there are several that I'm drawn to. I really wish I could figure out what it was about this pattern that made me feel so bored but I haven't been able to pinpoint it yet. Thankfully, the other stuff I'm working on right now is much more fun.

Today I'm home with Stinkerbelle because she's sick. The sun is shining and there are lot's of projects calling my name. I'm thinking that what she needs most right now is sleep. That would provide one very productive day for me but I don't see it happening. I think the stomache bug she's got is on it's way out already. Good for her but not so much for my knitting.

4 comments:

Cursing Mama said...

Poor Stinkerbell.
I love the socks - but must admit that I am easily pleased with large expanses stockinette. The harder the pattern (for me) the longer it takes me to get it done because knitting is one thing I don't multi-task well.

margene said...

Hmmm, something to consider. I like the pattern and you may be right...a semi-solid would make it much more fun to knit.

Carole Knits said...

I like the socks but I can see why they would be boring to knit. I hope Daria takes a nice long nap for you!

Anonymous said...

I know what you mean about the solid yarns, but the finished socks look beautiful!

I hope Stinkerbelle is feeling better soon!