Jun 17, 2008

Thriving in Spite of My Black Thumb

There are good things happening in our sad, neglected, little, garden this summer. The lavender that I planted last summer is thriving and lovely. The butterflies are loving it too. They are constantly hovering around it.

Lavender

Our mild success in the garden spurred DQ and I to stop at a local garden center over the weekend to pick up a few things. Precictably, we came home with more than we planned. There are some things that you just can't resist... like a peanut plant. Virginia is one of the major peanut producers so we'll give it a try.

Peanuts

How about some roses? These were a special request from DQ. I'm more into lilies and irises but she tells me that roses are her favorite so we got these which are called Double Knock Out. The guy at the nursery said that they're more or less idiot proof. Good thing!

Double Knock Out

We also bought mint while we were at the garden center. None of that was on the shopping list at all. What was on the list were tomato cages. When I was setting them up I realized that our timing was perfect because we have several blossoms and a baby tomato. Yay!

Tomato

4 comments:

Carole Knits said...

I think you're about to lose the black thumb label.

Anonymous said...

Pay attention to the mint, because it can spread. Just plan lots and lots of mojitos if it gets problematic.

margene said...

Lavender is one of my favorite plants...so pretty and fragrant. Keep up the good work. ;-)

Anonymous said...

Congrats on your gardening success. I hope my lavender is half as lovely as yours. Also, with the tomato troubles, you will be popular.