Jun 25, 2008

Ten Percent

A little over 3 weeks ago I posted my K is for kippah and the response to it was more than I ever imagined. It's ironic that a post that I almost didn't do would be the one to hit such a nerve. I'm so happy to have all of the support and encouragement.

DSC_0058

Many expressed interest in watching the project progress so here's where I am so far. I've completed 9 kippot and there is one more on my hook. As a percentage I've completed just over 10 percent and once the 10th is completed later today I'll have finished 1/8 of them. If you state it in either of those terms it sounds so good but, in reality, I still have 70 more to make. Seventy still sounds like a huge task and it is but I'm feeling good about the progress I've made and the odds of my finishing on time are pretty good if I can maintain this pace. Even better, I finally ordered the labels for them - royal blue with silver writing - so once they arrive I can start sending them to my mom to be attached. Yay!


So far they are turning out well and I'm happy with them but there is a small issue with the edges. The pattern calls for theedges to be finished with French single crochet which is actually a backwards single crochet with a twist. It makes for a neat and finished looking edge but they are rollong a little. I can smooth them out but they go back to rolling if I leave them alone. Anyone know anything about this?
Some have inquired about grandma's pattern. I need to look at it and see if I can share it. I'm not sure that any of the copies she made has any attribution and I suspect that my grandmother would've been fine sharing it with anyone that asked.

6 comments:

margene said...

If you take out a few stitches on the last row it might help with the curling.

Carole Knits said...

GO, go, go! You can do it!

Cursing Mama said...

I know less about crochet than I do about the mating habits of the now extinct Dodo Bird. What I do know is that you are cruising on these things and they are really cool.

Unknown said...

sweetie, I'll be honest and say that I don't recall where my mom got that pattern. (Her mother?)

Aunt Anita or Uncle Les might know, though I'd personally be surprised.

If it helps, you have my permission to share it .. (and I suspect my sibs would agree ..)

Anonymous said...

They are looking great! I think Margene's suggestion would probably be the way to go if the curling bothers you; but I don't think it'll matter when they are on.

Anonymous said...

Congrats on making it to ten percent!