Dec 29, 2010

Stuff to Start in the New Year

I am having such an awful time getting my knitting back on track. It's really just a lack of energy and focus. The intent and desire to finish stuff is still there, especially since there are things I want to start.

Here's a quick peek at some of the things that I really want to start. The first is for me. I bought 12 skeins of Noro in the colorway below to make myself a Lady Eleanor Entrelac Stole. I have wanted to make this for-freakin'-evah and for many reasons, not limited to the nasty wind that has been whipping through DC, now is the perfect time for me to cast on. I plan to start it while I watch the Rose Parade.

DSC_0654

The second thing that I look forward to casting on is a new pair of socks for my grandfather. He's the kind of person who neither needs, nor wants anything except to hear from us often. There is nothing at all that you can give him but who can't use a pair of handknit socks?

DSC_0874So when I made a pair for him 2 years ago I called them "Socks He Can't Refuse" and he didn't. My grandfather loved the socks and every time I've visited him since then, he pulls them out and tells me again about how much he loves them. He loves the colors and how they feel and he wears them every night to bed.

It always makes me smile except the last time when we were visiting over Thanksgiving. That's when I noticed something disturbing. There are holes developing in odd places. I don't know why or how althought I suspect that they got caught on something or weren't washed as gently as they should've been.

Whatever the reason, the fact remains that the socks aren't holding up as I'd hoped they would so I need to make another pair. These will be Lorna's Laces in Safari which has similar colors to the Claudia that I used for the first pair but has a bit of nylon.

DSC_0655

What ar you itching to cast on?

2 comments:

Carole Knits said...

The colors for your Eleanor Stole are awesome! I want to knit another sweater for me but first I need to rip and reknit the Spartan Sweater for Dale because it's too small.

Sarah said...

Great choices for your knitting, and the colors are great for both your Lady Eleanor and the socks.

I'm getting ready for a Damask KAL. It's time for me to choose my yarn. I may need to knit two--one for me, and one for a gift.