Dec 16, 2008

Big Sister/Little Sister Penguins

There has been quite a lot of fiber play going on for me lately. I'm spinning a lot, working like made to finish a few important knitting projects and, all the while, the crocheting continues. Mostly it's kippot. I just finished number 70 so I can see the light at the end of the tunnel. After spending such a long time with one project as your constant companion knowing that the end is near brings mixed feelings. On the one hand, it's a relief to know that I'll finish on time but at the same time I know it's going to feel weird not to have kippot to work on when I have a random moment.

Before I started the kippot, crochet was totally foreign and, honestly, uninterestingto me. I just had no interest at all. That's changed a bit lately since I found amigurumi. To my great surprise I've found that crochet is fun, fast and kind of satisfying.

DSC_0530

This little duo is the mother & baby penguins from Amigurumi World: Seriously Cute Crochet by Ana Paula Rimoli. This book is great! The instructions are clear and so are the illustrations so I can easily see how it's all supposed to come together. For a crochet novice like myself clear instructions is key.

DSC_0529Although they're billed as a mother & baby in the book I'm dubbing these as Big sister/Little sister penguins and I'll likely add a little bow on each before I give them to my niece who just became a big sister. I just have to finish the accompanying baby gift.

There is only one thing I would change about this project if I could. The yarn. KP Shine worsted is shiny and soft and I have no doubt that it'll hold up but it was not fun to work with because it fuzzes up constantly. I had little puffs of cottony yarn flying all around me as I worked on this and that's just not good. They made me sneeze and got on my clothes and it disappointed me greatly. Next time i'll get the cheapo yarn called for in the book.

2 comments:

Carole Knits said...

Those are really cute! I'd still like to learn a bit of simple crochet, mostly to use on the edges of hats and stuff.

Cursing Mama said...

They are very cute - what a great gift idea for a newly big sister.