Dec 4, 2008

The Itchy Girl Cowl

The real name of this pattern is the Chickadee Cowl (Rav link) by Kirsten Kapur. This pattern is really all about the linen stitch it uses. She called it the Chickadee Cowl because her daughter thought the stitch looked like bird feet. I just thought it looked cool.

DSC_0504
I started working it up and quickly found that the yarn I used, Fiesta Zuni in Sapphire, was obscuring the pattern a bit. It was still cool looking so I continued. Besides, the yarn is cotton so the nice dense fabric was encouraging. I thought that the structure of the fabric could make up for the lack of wool content.

DSC_0503
The more I knit, the more I realized that the wrong side of the cowl was unexpectedly pleasing. I really love the bumps and the way they work with the colors. It looks kind of fun to me.

IMG_2552[1]
Apparently Stinkerbelle likes it too. The morning after I finished it, she found it before I got out of bed and quickly flipped it inside out and wore it to school that way.

It's perfect for her. It covers her tender throat well and she can pull it up over her cheeks if necessary. Even better, the cotton shouldn't cause problems with her sensitive skin and the nice snug fit means that I don't worry about long tails getting caught on things during recess. It's really a great solution for keeping kids with a tendency towards unzipped jackets warm and healthy.

5 comments:

margene said...

At first I wasn't sure I'd like a cowl, but I'm a total convert now. That one looks darling on a darling grrl.

Cursing Mama said...

My one and only holiday knitting project (should my wrists & time allow) is a cowl. I sure do love the way yours turned out, any thoughts on cotton versus wool or something more luxurious for this pattern?

Anonymous said...

That's really pretty inside out!

Carole Knits said...

That's great for her!

Sarah-potterknitter said...

That's really cute! I agree, the inside must be the outside from now on.